The Arts Center offers internship opportunities for college students within many of our departments. Individuals will learn what it’s like to work within a fast paced, not for profit arts organization.
Pursuing an internship at The Arts Center of the Capital Region is recommended for individuals interested in working in arts administration, art education, galleries, museums, school and other arts institutions.
Internships are offered on a rolling basis, year round. At this time, internships are unpaid and intended for aspiring professionals and students who are receiving college credit toward their degree. To be considered for an internship, we ask that students are here a minimum of 10 hours per week and hold a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
LOOKING FOR AN INTERNSHIP? APPLY TODAY!
The Arts Center is accepting applications for the Spring semester in the following areas:
The Arts Center is seeking a Business Operations intern. Interest in the daily operations of a not for profit (501c3) organization. An interest in the arts is helpful, but not required for this position. Will work closely with Director of Finance and Operations.
- Updating safety manuals to OSHA standards
- Cataloging building inventory for insurance purposes
- Assist with researching best cost solutions for materials necessary for daily operations
Candidate requirements: Detail oriented, strong writing ability, creative and has the ability to work independently.
MARKETING & EVENTS
The Arts Center is looking for an outgoing and creative Marketing and Events intern. Will work closely with the Director of Communications and Events. An interest in non for profit management and the arts is highly desired.
- Responsible for writing copy for website, blog posts and social media postings
- Create flyers for distribution around the Center and the Capital Region
- Assist with special events preparation and the execution of those events
Candidate requirements: Detail oriented, strong writing ability, creative, and has the ability to work independently.
Candidate preferred skills: Experience with graphic design, specifically Adobe InDesign and Photoshop; shooting and editing video; experience with social media and blogging.
GALLERY & VOLUNTEER OUTREACH
The Arts Center is seeking a Gallery and Volunteer Outreach intern. Will work closely with the Director of Exhibits and Patron Services. An interest in visual arts and not for profits arts management is a plus.
- Assist with research, coordination, installation/de-installation of exhibitions
- Communicating with artists, assisting with exhibit programming and execution of those events
- Updating volunteer database
- Create and perform public informational volunteer training sessions
Candidate requirements: Detail oriented, creative, has some experience with various art mediums, knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, ability to read measurements and work independently.
The Arts Center is looking for a Program Development intern. Working closely with the Director of Arts in the Community, you will assist with program development in the areas of arts education and performance. Experience will be gained in business development and sales, project management, client and artist relationship management, and program administration.
- Assist with the design and maintenance of innovative arts education programming for school groups, agencies serving people with special needs, corporate and professional groups, clubs, etc. Responsibilities include market research, program strategy development, contract administration, scheduling, business development and client/faculty relationship management.
- Assist with the development and execution of performance programming in Black Box Theater. Responsibilities include competitive market and artist research, event strategy development, artist communications, event planning and event execution.
Candidate requirements: High degree of integrity and responsibility, ability to solve problems and work independently, excellent writing skills, experience with or interest in community building, knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, comfort with phone communications, sales experience a plus.
Candidate preferred skills: Experience in using database software and internet market research.
If interested in applying, please mail a hard copy with the following materials: (completed Intern Application Form, resume, contact information, and at least two references) to:
ATTN: Alana Akacki/Internships
The Arts Center of the Capital Region
265 River Street
Troy, NY 12180
For questions, please email Alana or call (518) 273-0552 x221.
For those looking for volunteer opportunities, please visit our Volunteer page.